Thursday, October 11, 2012

I just wanted to post a poem I wrote for my mom's memorial. She passed away in August, and I was originally going to do the eulogy, but decided I wasn't going to be able to get an intelligible word out if I had to speak in front of anyone. So instead, I did what I think I do best:write. Well, actually poetry is not my thing, but these words came from the heart( I hammered it out in about five minutes). Enjoy. And rest in peace Mom.



Selfless
To You, what is a mother?
Is it to birth a child, feed it, hold it?
Well, to me, it is to selflessly and without complaint, care for another...
Katherine Blackburn blamelessly fit this part. 
Yes, she was a woman whose children carried her heart.
From a boy with lashes long and eyes blue, to another whom she was proud, in all that his talent allowed him to do. 
Then there was number three, a boy as well, whom swelled her with pride, for the fact that he was her baby boy, she would not hide.
Then number four; while a daddy’s girl, this mother taught everything, all her wisdom, which I consider a priceless pearl.
Did this mother ever demand payment or reward? Did she ever once complain?
No, she did everything she did, regardless of the pain.
For motherhood is not an easy task, but for my mother, not one thing in return, did she ask. 
She disciplined, cleaned and cooked, and when times were quiet, she would sew or read a book.
But the little enjoyments she would quickly put aside, for a mother’s work never ends, never subsides.
Yet still, she did it with abundant pride.
Does she deserve a great reward for her selfless giving?
Yes, indeed, yet earthly things would never be fitting. 
But do not fret. Her legacy lives on, in four, now grown children, who will lovingly and forever, call her mom.
So when Katherine Blackburn stood before God, and by Him, was of her life asked to describe, 
she answered ‘I was a selfless mother,’ with head held firmly high. 
And she was sure, by that truthful account, not all the gold in the world could ,or would, ever amount.
So God smiled, and nodded His head. ‘Yes Katherine Blackburn, you were. A mother you were called, and a mother you became. The world where you lived will never be the same. You were honored, loved and cherished. Your family, they were surely blessed. 
‘They call their time with you priceless...
‘Yes, Katherine Blackburn, indeed you were exactly what I called you to be:
Honestly, blamelessly, and perfectly...
Selfless.

No comments:

Post a Comment